Daniel and Ethan were sitting in the playground. Ethan bursts out crying and says “I’ve just had the most awful time”. “First I got angina pectoris, then arteriosclerosis. Just as I was recovering, I got psoriasis. They gave me hypodermics, and to top it all, tonsillitis was followed by appendectomy.”
Daniel was in shock and asked “Ethan, how did you manage to get through that?”
“I don’t know,” Ethan replied. “It was the toughest spelling test I ever had.”
Well, I am sure you are ready to call me lame in 14 different languages. So let’s jump straight into how you can make money with your language skills.
Make money through teaching
There are many platforms that can be used to teach a language.
- italki is an online marketplace that offers a language learning service. It connects language teachers from around the world with people who want to learn different languages. You will need to set up your profile including your hourly rate and which languages you are fluent in. You will then be contacted by learners who think you are a good match.
- You can find students through Wyzant in the US or similar platforms in your country. You can tutor foreigners or students preparing for upcoming tests.
- Do you live in Europe? Why not try hosting an interactive experiential workshop through Experitus. You can even combine learning a language with other interesting cultural touches.
- You may not wish to charge per hour for your time. As they say time is money. You are still able to make money creating an online course. You do this through the Udemy platform. You could even write an eBook about learning a language. It will be a lot of work to produce a quality eBook but it does not have to be 400 pages. A simple 30 page book focusing on a specific element of a language would be best. Something like “Some handy French phrases that you will need when visiting Paris”. By promoting your course or book you can receive passive income from future sales.
Make money through translating
- Translatorsbase.com is an online marketplace where you can create an online presence and apply for work. It will help you market and manage your translation service business.
- You can bid for jobs on generalist freelancing platforms such as Freelancer.com, Upwork or list translation gigs on Fiverr. Don't limit yourself to translation work. Use your linguistic ability to get editing and content jobs.
Make money by chatting
If you are a fluent English speaker, you do not need teaching, translation or tutoring experience to make money. With Cambly, you are able to help people from all over the world take their English skills to the next level. You can get paid for having friendly, informal conversations. You can do this anytime & anywhere. You might even meet some great people and learn about other cultures along the way. As expected, the amount that can be earned is lower than that earned through professional teaching platforms. But, should still be able to earn just over $10 per an hour.
Lalechet leharviach kesef
Aller gagner de l'argent
Ir a ganar dinero
Andare guadagnare soldi
If you are a true linguist you will know what to do!